The extent of this dish goes far beyond the recipe title. Here is its magnificence in full: Potato and herb crusted salmon with savoury oats and wild rice risotto, white sage infused blueberries
Herb Crusted Salmon
- 4-5oz portion organic salmon, skin removed
- ½ c parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ c chives finely sliced
- 1T tarragon finely chopped
- ½ c organic avocado oil
- 2T unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 potato sliced paper thin
- S&p to taste
- Combine all the herbs and oil, season, mix and set aside.
- Place potato rounds in a single layer on baking sheet lined with an oiled piece of parchment paper. Season with s&p.
- Cover the potatoes with another piece of parchment paper and then press it down with a baking sheet of the same size.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 5-8 minutes until barely cooked. Set aside.
- Take 1T of the herb mixture and spread evenly over the ‘skin side’ of the fish. Then evenly overlap the potato rounds to cover the fish and herbs to resemble ‘fish scales’.
Wild Rice And Steel Cut Oat Risotto
- 1c Precooked wild rice
- ¾ c steel cut oatmeal
- 2 strips of double smoked bacon, diced
- 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- ¾ c wild assorted mushrooms
- 2T unsalted butter, cubed½ c dry white wine
- ¾ c dark game stock (beef stock will do, but not really)
- ½ c smoked aged cheddar, diced into small pieces
- ½ d minced parsley
- Lemon juice to taste
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat add the butter, bacon, thyme and garlic.
- Render out the bacon and then add the wine. Deglaze and reduce.
- Add half the stock, the oatmeal and cook to about al dente.
- Add the rice and cheddar, stir and cook until the oatmeal has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Season with s&p and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Blueberry Wild Sage Compote
- 1 c fresh blueberries
- 1 sprig dried white sage
- ½ c water
- ½ c sugar
- 1t lemon juice
- 1 lemon peel
Over medium heat, combine all ingredients until reduced and flavours are well combined.
Finish the dish:
Over high heat in a sauté pan add the oil and butter until smoking.
Season the fish and place the salmon potato side down, sear. Spoon hot oil over top of the fish, do not turn the fish over (you want a dark potato crust) cook for 3-5, until medium. Set aside.
On a large dinner plate, spoon on 1 portion of the risotto, place the fish on top skin side up, and spoon over blueberry compote. Serve immediately.
Chef Rich Francis is a celebrated presence in culinary and Indigenous circles across Canada. He was a runner-up on Top Chef Canada 4, and is now introducing the world to The 7th Fire - Indigenous Grill. This restaurant, rooted in the 7th Fire Prophecy, is a departure in more ways than one.